Explore Gauteng with the Gautrain School Excursion Program
Gautrain offers planned school excursions to primary and secondary schools that are eager to learn by exploring Gauteng.
Schools within a 10-kilometre radius of a Gautrain station may request a return bus service that will collect scholars and educators from the school and transport them to the closest Gautrain station. Scholars will then have the opportunity to travel on South Africa’s first and only rapid-rail train service. Upon reaching the destination station, a bus service will transport scholars and educators to their chosen place of interest where they will spend time exploring and learning more about their place of interest. The bus service will remain available to transport scholars and educators back to the nearest Gautrain station as they prepare to conclude the day of exploration.
The Bombela Concession Company (“Bombela”) has negotiated discounted entry fees for interested schools at some of Gauteng’s renowned places of interest. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
How it works:
- Pretoria Zoo
- Pretoria National Botanical Gardens
- Johannesburg Zoo
- Constitutional Hill
- Origins Museum
- Wits Planetarium
- Sci-Bono Discovery Centre
- Freedom Park Heritage site & Museum
- City Sightseeing Johannesburg – Red Bus
- Ster-Kinekor (selected cinemas)
- Gold Reef city
Terms and Conditions
- To participate in the Gautrain School Excursion Program (“Program”), interested primary and/or secondary schools must complete registration either on the Gautrain website https://www.gautrainalerts.co.za/school-travel/ or by submitting a manual application form that can be obtained upon request, and which should be returned to Gautrainexcursion@Bombela.com
- Schools within a 10-kilometre radius of a Gautrain station qualify for a bus service to transport scholars and educators to and from the nearest Gautrain station, upon request.
- Schools that are further than 10 kilometres from a Gautrain station may still participate in this Program, provided they procure their own bus service to transport scholars and educators to and from their closest Gautrain station. Visit the Gautrain website to find the nearest Gautrain station at https://www.gautrain.co.za.
- Within two to four (2-4) business days of completing the registration or application, the school will receive an e-mail with a cost estimate for their tailor-made school excursion.
- Proof of payment must be received at least seven (7) business days prior to the school excursion. Proof of payment must be sent to Gautrainexcursion@Bombela.com.
- The Program is valid from 1 June 2021 – 1 June 2025. Gautrain reserves the right to withdraw, postpone, amend or suspend this Program at any time and for any reason which may be deemed necessary, without prior notice. This Program may also be amended at any time due to Covid-19 regulations as issued by the Government of South Africa.
- This tailor-made Program is only applicable to schools that will be traveling to their place of interest by the Gautrain train service. As such, scholars and educators will be required to make a return train trip.
- Interested schools must ensure that their contact details and school information have been correctly captured upon registration. Gautrain will not be held liable for any losses or additional expenses incurred by the school should the contact details not have been captured correctly.
- Whilst we make every effort to reserve discount entry fees/prices at the list of places of interest, prices may fluctuate, depending on the place of interest. We will however timeously inform the school of any prices changes.
- Booking and payment:
- Bombela will provide costs to the interested schools, this cost estimate will include all fees for the school excursion, which is is inclusive of the return Gautrain train and bus fares and entry fees of the place of interest. The schools must collect the monies from the scholars and make a single payment to Bombela at least seven (7) business days before the school excursion. This will enable Bombela to make the respective payment/s to the place of interest on behalf of the school, as well as to make the other travel arrangements necessary for a successful school excursion.
- Proof of payment must be sent to Gautrainexcursion@Bombela.com at least seven (7) business days prior to the excursion.
- Bombela will provide the school with confirmation of the excursion in writing via e-mail. This e-mail will confirm receipt of proof of payment as well as the date and time for the school excursion.
- Gautrain Train fares and Entry fees:
- Interested schools will be responsible for the payment of the full Gautrain return fare per scholar as well as discounted entry fee at the place of interest per scholar. Visit the Gautrain website to view fares: gautrain.co.za/commuter/farecalc
- This Program will only take place during Gautrain off-peak hours which are currently between 08h30 and 16h00 on weekdays, but which may change from time to time. Visit the Gautrain website to view the applicable schedule: https://www.gautrainalerts.co.za/timetables/.
- Depending on the selected place of interest and the confirmed number of scholars, this may affect the associated entry fees.
- Consent and indemnity from participating schools:
- Schools participating in this Program shall remain responsible to obtain consent from Parents and/or Guardians of the participating scholars.
- Educators/caregivers will be responsible for the scholars for the duration of the excursion (from the time of departure from the school until the time of arrival back at the school).
- Gautrain Management Agency, Bombela or any of their sub-contractors or affiliates will not be held liable for any claim for loss, injury, illness, medical emergency, or death arising from participation in this Program.
- By participating in the Program, the school acknowledges and agrees that it shall indemnify Bombela from any and all claims as described in point 8 above, made by the scholars (or parent(s)/guardian(s) thereof), and/or the points of interest.
- Bombela will not be held liable for the products and/or services rendered by the places of interest and any queries related to the third party’s products and/or services must be addressed directly with the respective third party.
- Cancellation, Rescheduling and Refunds:
- Standard Gautrain refund fares apply. Visit the Gautrain website to view fees: https://www.gautrain.co.za/termsconditions
- Cancellations must be made at least 72 hours in advance of the scheduled date of the Excursion, failing which an administrative fee, as well as entry fees at place of interest/s may be charged.
- Schools may reschedule a school excursion depending on the availability of the selected place of interest.
- Schools must submit any special request/s prior to making payment to Gautrainexcursion@Bombela.com.
- All standard Gautrain rules are to be observed at all times. Penalty fees may be applied should passengers fail to adhere to the Gautrain rules. Please refer to the Gautrain website for Gautrain Travel Rules: https://www.gautrain.co.za/commuter/generalinformation.
- By participating in this Program, you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
For any queries, please visit our Contact Us page or call our Customer Care Centre on 0800 428 87246 (0800 GAUTRAIN), daily from 05h30 to 20h00. You may also use the LiveChat feature on the Contact Us page.